Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Phone Follies


Phone Follies Posted by Hello

Yesterday morning I was called by a telemarketer. I was pretty sure it was a telemarketer by the way it was listed on the caller ID, and so I didn't answer it the first 4 times they called. Finally, I just gave in and answered.

As the lady on the line began her canned presentation, I was courteous and patient through the first bit. Part of the presentation informed me that the conversation may be recorded for quality control. At the first pause in the sales pitch I told her that I really wasn't interested, "but thanks anyway," and began to hang up. But she just kept talking. I interrupted, but she just kept talking. Finally I said something like, "Ma'am, please, if you would just listen to what I'm saying - I mean especially if this is being recorded..." So finally she got the message and was mildly courteous as she wrapped up the call.

Kind of annoying, but no big deal. Typical Telemarketing call.

About an hour later, they called again. I didn't answer this time.

Fast forward to this morning. I had to take my son, Matthew to a strength and conditioning camp by 7:00 a.m. [D'oh! - As I'm typing this, they just called again!] As I was groggily making my way to the door at about 6:40 a.m., the phone started ringing.

"Man!" I thought. "These guys have no shame! A telemarketing call at 6:40 a.m.?" When I got to the phone I glanced at the caller ID and realized that the number that was calling our home was my cell phone.

"Oh, no," I thought, "I must have left my phone somewhere, and someone's calling to let me know." That's when I noticed that my cell phone was in my pocket and the "keyguard" was not on.

So it wasn't a telemarketer calling me at an annoying time of the morning.

It was my pants.

I'm guessing they were calling to encourage me not to run by the seat of them today like I did yesterday...

2 comments:

Kim Wells said...

Probably the funniest story I've heard all week - thanks.

John Henson said...

smarty pants!