Friday, April 07, 2006

Some Random Friday Stuff

Just some random Friday stuff today...

Team 100:

I want to say, "Thank You," to everyone who has been a part of our "Team 100!" We have now wrapped up the series, but we would love to have you continue to pray for us, and we would be honored to pray for you, as well. Does prayer make a difference? I believe that it makes and has made a huge difference, and I hope that you have also been blessed as you have prayed for us!

Buzz Conference:
I'm bummed out that I am unable to go to the Buzz Conference! I'm way too low on cash for the trip across the country, right now but if Drive was the conference I most wanted to attend last year, this is the conference I would be attending this year if I could.

I actually spent some time as a "summer missionary" in Washington D.C. MANY years ago, and would love to go back. Here's a hilarious picture to give you an idea of HOW long ago that was... What is up with the hair? Oh, wait, I actually had hair, then! :-D

Some of my favorite bloggers are going to be there, Ebenezers is now open (Hmm, imagine a Compass version of Ebenezers in old town Roanoke...) and I could have gotten to hang out with Ed Young.

But of course, since I live not too far from Ed, I can just call him up and hang out with him any time.... :-D (That was fun. I actually enjoyed saying that. Ok, now back to reality...)

This Weekend at Compass:
This Sunday I am looking forward to sharing about "The Point: More, Stronger and Closer Followers of Jesus Christ." More on this later!

But on Saturday, we are helping the city of Roanoke with the community Easter egg hunt and my lovely wife, Leona will once again frighten children as the Easter bunny.

Someone asked recently: "What does the Easter Bunny and eggs have to do with the Resurrected Christ?" My answer - Nothing. What's your point?

So why are we, as a church, helping the community with an event that involves an Easter Bunny Costume? Because we want to be good neighbors and we want to connect with the people in our community where they are. It provides an opportunity for us to crash stereotypes, meet needs, and meet people, so we can ultimately point them to Jesus.

The "Easter Bunny" is just a goofy secular thing akin to "Frosty the Snowman" at Christmas time. Hey, he doesn't scare me! Besides, I know what [s]he looks like under the mask, and there's nothing but cuteness going on there.

Sorry, I didn't mean to chase a rabbit..... Then again... ;-D ...Alright, I'll stop. :-D

And A Good Quote to wrap up your week:

Teddy Roosevelt said,
"It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who have never known neither victory nor defeat." [Quote via Mark]
Bully for that! Let's kick up some dust...

To the arena!

No comments: